2244 Old Ivy Road, Charlottesville,
Virginia 22903 (about 1 mile west of University of Virginia)
Dinner is Served : Monday
through Saturday Evenings from 5:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Reservations are Recommended
The Ivy Inn
Restaurant is a Vangelopoulos family owned and operated business since 1995.
chef/owner Angelo Vangelopoulos
Penn Webster & Bryan Counts Pastry Chef: Jon Thornburg
The History of the Ivy Inn Restaurant
The Ivy Inn, located one mile from the
University of Virginia, was once part of a larger estate named ᵬkner House
ᦴer William Faulkner, a Southern aristocrat and distinguished University
⩴er in residence.p; In 1815, a fire destroyed the original Inn, which was
built in the early 1700bsp; A year later Jesse Pittman Lewis rebuilt the
estate, adding several outbuildings including the present structure which now
houses the Ivy Inn Restaurant. The kitchen, located in the back of the house,
was formerly a tollhouse where weary travelers rested from their journeys
between Richmond and Staunton. The University later acquired the several
outbuildings and the Faulkner estate for guest housing and dining facilities.
In 1893 the house was sold for only $3000 to James Kiblin, who was also
granted 11 ᣲes as part of the bill of sale. In 1901 it was sold to
William H. Barlow, an attorney and engineer from England. The Barlow
family owned the property until 1939 when Williamungest son sold it to a
University of Virginia professor of biology. Between 1940 and 1965 the
house sold two more times and in 1973 the Ivy Inn restaurant was established
in order to provide the community and visitors with a richly historical and
elegant atmosphere for dining.